When should I take my infant to the ER for a fever?
Fever. If your baby is younger than 3 months old, contact the doctor for any fever. If your baby is 3 to 6 months old and has a temperature up to 102 F (38.9 C) and seems sick or has a temperature higher than 102 F (38.9 C), contact the doctor.
When should you be worried about a fever?
Call your doctor if your temperature is 103 F (39.4 C) or higher. Seek immediate medical attention if any of these signs or symptoms accompanies a fever: Severe headache. Unusual skin rash, especially if the rash rapidly worsens.
Why would a baby have a 102 fever?
A simple cold or other viral infection can sometimes cause a rather high fever (in the 102°–104°F/38.9°–40°C range), but this doesn’t usually mean there’s a serious problem. In fact, a serious infection, especially in infants, might cause no fever or even a low body temperature (below 97°F or 36.1°C).
What are RSV symptoms in babies?
What are the symptoms of RSV in a child?
- Runny nose.
- Short periods without breathing (apnea)
- Trouble eating, drinking, or swallowing.
- Flaring of the nostrils or straining of the chest or stomach while breathing.
- Breathing faster than usual, or trouble breathing.
How should I dress my baby with a fever at night?
Treating Your Child’s Fever
DO NOT bundle up a child with blankets or extra clothes, even if the child has the chills. This may keep the fever from coming down, or make it go higher. Try one layer of lightweight clothing, and one lightweight blanket for sleep. The room should be comfortable, not too hot or too cool.
What do hospitals do for babies with fevers?
A baby less than 28 days old, who has a fever, will be admitted to the hospital for further observation and treatment. This is the standard of care at all hospitals. Antibiotics will be continued until all the culture results come back.
How do you treat a fever in an infant?
How to Treat a Fever
- Bathe your baby in lukewarm water. …
- Dress your baby in light, comfortable clothing.
- Make sure your baby is getting enough fluids to prevent dehydration.
- NEVER give your baby aspirin to treat a fever. …
- Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are the two medications for children that help fight fever.
What is the fastest home remedy for fever?
- Sit in a bath of lukewarm water, which will feel cool when you have a fever. …
- Give yourself a sponge bath with lukewarm water.
- Wear light pajamas or clothing.
- Try to avoid using too many extra blankets when you have chills.
- Drink plenty of cool or room-temperature water.
- Eat popsicles.
How long should you wait with a fever before going to the doctor?
Call your doctor immediately if you have a high grade fever — when your temperature is 103°F (39.4°C) or higher. Get medical help if you have any kind of fever for more than three days. Let your doctor know if your symptoms get worse or if you have any new symptoms.
How high is too high for a fever in a child?
If his or her temperature is above 100.4 degrees, it is time to call us. For children ages three months to three years, call us if there is a fever of 102 degrees or higher. For all kids three years and older, a fever of 103 degrees or higher means it is time to call Pediatrics East.